Thursday, May 22, 2008

Another Post...Full of Random Thoughts

After the last (first) post, I went away for the weekend. Well, sort of - if you can call chaperoning a church youth group sleepover "getting away", then I did. No, no. Put away the violins. My life is not sooo pathetic. In fact, I plan to have a life that includes "grown-up" activities and adult people (who exist within my environment, outside the virtual realm) any day now.

I had an idea for this post, but I am highly susceptible right now because of sleep deprivation. My tween and I saw the midnight showing of the new Indiana Jones movie this morning. I love it when I get to be the "cool" mom! Of course, "rule" mom says we both have to get up and go about our days as usual so we were at the elementary at 8 this morning. (Sometimes I hate rule mom.)

AAR,
I read a blog post about addiction and now my mind is off on a tangent (and I keep accidentally turning on italics and can't make them turn off). Commentors included TV addictions and guilty pleasures, and I was forced to consider my TV viewing habits again. A brother (I have two) and I were talking about this the other day. I would love to know what some marketer would determine about my family's viewing habits. Family would be the aforementioned preteen and me. I'd love to have a Neilson box (or whatever) and then be a fly on the wall watching some analyst go crazy.

We watch a lot of the shows on HGTV, and a few on TLC ("What Not to Wear" and the home improvement shows). In their respective seasons, we watch: "Heroes", "Biggest Loser", "Criminal Minds", "Ugly Betty", "The Making of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" (did I mention my preteen's gender?), "Dr. Who", and "Stargate Atlantis". We also watch "Law and Order"(s - just not "Intent"). I watch BSG; he's not really into it. There are a couple of shows that each of us tolerate for the sake of the other. Then there are those we tune in to whenever the mood strikes or whenever the marathon runs: "Trick My Truck", "Project Runway", "ANTM", "Top Chef", "Dirty Jobs".... There are probably a few more that escape me right now.

Ever wonder how folks come up with "answers" based on averages, probabilities, and other general statistics? I don't know anybody that I think fits the "norm". Admittedly, I don't know a lot of people (put a little rosin on those bowstrings, folks - you never know when you'll need them), but if we're all not the norm, who is? I was sad to see "Journeyman" go away, but there are several (read many) shows that lived that I'd love to see gone forever. Who's the norm that they're using to choose what I watch on TV?

Random brain cramp: just had a visual of the guy walking in to the bar and being greeted, "Hi, Norm!"

No comments: