Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Life With No Morals

This post has been written several times today, changing each time I had a conversation or read another blog. Unfortunately, all of those versions were in my head, not in my computer. I can and will and believe that I am not putting inspirational posts on my blog. :)

Oh, I might accidentally write something that has deep meaning for someone somewhere, but I'm intentionally nursing my glass of Laphroig and telling tales from my life, my random thoughts, and my serious musings. You may laugh; you may groan; you may shake your head in disbelief and click away, but you probably won't reevaluate your life -- and that's the way it should be. I'm not aiming for maudlin or contrary at the moment, I've just been evaluating my purpose and making some decisions (again).

A lot of the posts that I've been reading lately are...inspirational. There's nothing wrong with that, and I have actually enjoyed the posts and commentary, but they made me think. My blog isn't geared for inspiration. I read all of my posts again just to be sure; there's not an inspiring word in the bunch (or the few, depending on how you look at it). Am I adding any value to the blogosphere? Should I get more inspirational? On one of the inspirational posts, titled "Participant", one comment (by Friar) included the line, "Is there anyone left (beside me) who isn’t currently self-actualizing on a journey of spiritual discovery?"

I could have written that line. So I thought about it and made my decision. This is my pub, a place to goof off, a place to be in time out from the "happy bubble" (Karen's, from the same post in response to Friar). I'm going to continue talking to myself in cyberspace about whatever strikes my fancy -- just life: no inspiration, no morals -- and probably no value added. I figure ice cream and alcohol don't add any real nutritional value to our diets, but that wouldn't cause me to remove them from my food chain.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so TOTALLY AGREE!

My blog is for pure entertainment (for myself, and hopefully others).

I don't want it to have ONE SCRAP of anything resembling self-improvement, inspiration, spirituality, or anything of any socially-redeeming value.

In the buffet of the blogosphere...if Inspiration and Life Coaching is "Health Food", then I'd like to be considered the Potato Chips and Cheeseburgers.

- Friar

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer said...

Friar, potato chips & cheeseburgers, ice cream & alcohol (that's me), and health food all co-existing in harmony to feed the blogosphere. I like that concept. What do you think of "our" tagline?

We're not nutritious, but we're good for you.

Thanks for stopping by. I've had two comments in two months...that's got to be some kind of a record. :^)

Steph said...

that's what you should call your blog: NO Value Added. Ahaha!

The value is the laughter and relaxation we get here.

PS. It took months for me to get comments on my blog. Just write for you. Comment on other sites. They will come. I promise. But only if you stop saying (telling them) they won't!

Steph said...

Whoops, I didn't mean the all-caps on No!

No Value Added is what I meant.

Steph said...

@ Friar: your analogies never cease to amaze me.

Anonymous said...

April and Steph

Another good Junk Food Analagy.

We can be to the Blogosphere, as Lucky Charms are "Part of a Good Breakfast".


PS. When I started, I got maybe one comment a week. If that.

Don't worry. It will pick up.

- Friar

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer said...

Friar and Steph,

Thank you both for dropping by and commenting. I'm just tickled pink (and green, cuz I like green)! Thanks, also, for the encouraging words. I'm not really worried about people coming/commenting.
I've kind of got a running joke going because my ego had me doing backflips a few weeks ago.

People will read when they read, or not -- I'm just having fun writing. I only need to remind myself of that now and then. "Remember, thou art mortal. Remember, thou art mortal." If it comes across as "pity me", please let me know, and I'll keep it in my head (or just say it aloud). :^)

Steph - I like "No Value Added". It would be cool to keep the "No" in all caps, bold type, and underlined. :^)

Friar - I'd have to think about the Lucky Charms analogy...mostly because I never really cared for them, or was that because my parents never let me have them? ;)

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be bumping into you both again sometime soon.